Practicing: Changing Yourself to Change the World
(Westminster John Knox Press, February 2020)
From the masses of young people spurning organized religion to faithful followers of Jesus, there is a deep hunger across gender, age, socioeconomics, and denominational backgrounds for practical, tangible ways to live a life of love, mercy, and justice in our divided, fragmented world. But where do we start? It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the world's problems, with solutions to violence and poverty and oppression seeming so far out of reach. But we have more power to change the world than we realize-and it starts with changing ourselves. Practicing is centered on ten transformational practices-Healing, Listening, Loving, Including, Equalizing, Advocating, Mourning, Failing, Resting, and Celebrating. By putting our hearts, hands, and feet behind our good intentions, we can transform our groups, our communities, and our world. Extremely interactive, relational, and practical, Practicing can be read alone or processed together with a group, church, or class.
A Weary World: Reflections for a Blue Christmas
(Westminster John Knox Press, September 2020)
It's the most wonderful time of the year…until it's not." During the holidays, so many of us suffer for all kinds of reasons. The magnitude of our weary world weighs on our hearts and minds. We wrestle with chronic pain, broken relationships, shattered dreams, fragile faith, and unexpected losses. Our grief and sorrow often feels particularly acute, and for 2020, most all of us are feeling weary for countless reasons. A Weary World: Reflections for a Blue Christmas is for any individuals and communities who want to honor the reality of the season in a raw and hopeful way. It includes twenty-eight daily reflections paired with prayers and possible practices to help sustain us. Centered on the 4 weeks of the Advent season, the major movements include: Honoring Reality, Practicing Honesty, Embracing Paradox, and Borrowing Hope. There are also group reflection questions and resources and creative ideas for leaders. Digital resources for groups and congregations at www.wjkbooks.com/awearyworld
Faith Shift: Finding Your Way Forward When Everything You Believe is Coming Apart
(Convergent Books, 2014) Hope for spiritual refugees, church burnouts and freedom seekers, Faith Shift gives language to what many experience as their faith evolves. With an inviting blend of vulnerability and hope, it addresses the losses that come with spiritual shifts and offers tangible practices for rebuilding a free and authentic faith after it unravels. Includes personal reflection and group discussion questions at the end of each chapter.
Down We Go: Living into the Wild Ways of Jesus
(Civitas Press, 2011) Inspiration and challenge for ecclesial dreamers, church burn-outs, missional practitioners, and ordinary people who want to live the ways of Jesus in practice. Includes questions at the end of each chapter for personal and group discussion and is great for faith communities desiring change.
Refresh: Sharing Stories, Building Faith
(New Hope, 2007) An interactive Bible study and spiritual direction for women in a magazine format. Each chapter explores real women’s struggles related to self-image, fear, relationships, depression, etc. and is good for women’s bible studies or small groups.
Books I've contributed to
- Letters to a Future Church: Words of Encouragement and Prophetic Appeals (edited by Chris Lewis, InterVarsity Press, 2012) – each chapter is written by a different leader across ages and experiences with a prophetic call to the church.
- The Practice of Love (edited by Jonathan Brink, Civitas Press, 2011) - a collaborative project includes men and women writing on the practice of loving God, others, ourselves, and our enemies.
- Banned Questions About the Bible (Christian Piatt, Chalice Press, 2011) - includes a wide range of difficult questions about the Bible with responses from a diverse group of pastors and leaders.
- Taking Flight: Restoring the Female Half of God’s Image Through Advocacy and Renewal (Edited by Cynthia LaGrou and Caleb Seeing, Samizdet, 2010) - a collection of male and female voices centered on living in more balanced and healthy relationship with each other in leadership and life.
- Simple Church: Unity Through Diversity (edited by Eric Carpenter, Redeeming Press, 2014) – 24 different perspectives on possibilities for living out “church.”